Kumar Marewad, a 17-year-old boy who was presumed to be dead after being bit by a stray dog woke up on the way to his own funeral.
I’m no doctor and clearly none of the people treating this boy are, but it sounds like someone should have checked his pulse before jumping right into the funeral arrangements.
Marewad worked as a construction worker in Managundi village in Karnataka’s Dharwad district, was bitten by a stray dog last month and concerns grew after he developed a severe fever.
As News Minute reports, Marewood was taken to a hospital and put on a ventilator while doctors informed his family that an infection had rapidly spread in his body and he would have very slim chances of survival.
Marewad’s brother-in-law, Sharanappa Naikar told the Times of India that, “We had decided to take Kumar home after doctors told us his chances of survival were bleak once taken off the ventilator.”
After the family found that there was “no body movement” after bringing Marewad home, they assumed he has died and so they began planning his funeral.
Just as they carried his body away to perform his last rites, less than a mile from their home, Marewad opened his eyes and started moving his arms and legs.
Dr. Mahesh Neelakhantannavar shared with TOI that Marewad is now back on ventilation and that he is suffering from meningoencephalitis because of the dog bite.